Joel’s iTunes Playlist — March 2009: A list of some things I am listening to these days.
- LITTLE BOOTS. Hailing from London, this talented girl has been making noise on the music blogs for a little over a year now and is finally getting some recognition stateside (SXSW, playing Late Night TV like Carson Daly). She has only an EP out on iTunes, and a handful of remixes online by the excellent Treasure Fingers and Fake Blood — plus the outstanding Buffetlibre VS Sidechains Remix of Love Kills. Register for her Fan Club and receive access to her great personal mix Magical Tropical Mixtape.
- TIGA. Tiga is back! New album Ciao! Tiga drops in April, but a few tracks have been playing out online. Mind Dimension came out around Dec/Jan and now making the rounds are the songs Shoes and Love Don’t Dance Here Anymore. Both are supremely catchy — and crafted by super-producers Soulwax. Other collaborators on Ciao! include Gonzales, James Murphy and Phillipe Zdar, this release will be essential listening of 2009!
- PHOENIX. The French quartet returns with Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix this May. The first single, 1901, is available now on their site as a FREE high-quality download. The band has always had a french-house sound, and keeps involved with early collaborators Daft Punk, Cassius and Air. In fact, Phillipe Zdar also co-produced Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, keeping himself busy.
- THE PRODIGY. UK electronic supergroup follows-up their hard-hitting album, Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned, with Invaders Must Die — reuniting mastermind Liam Howlett with the 2 other original members of the band, Maxim and Keith Flint. The sound of the album is slick and the title track, Invaders Must Die, was also available for free on the band’s site (XLR8R free link). Out now is the next single, Omen, with a remix by personal Drum ‘n’ Bass favs Noisia (and mix of IMD by Chase & Status as well!)
- VAN SHE. Like Ladyhawke (from my last playlist), Van She is also from the Australian label Modular. They have been killing it with remixes lately — all after their full-album release V last fall, still on Import only. The remixes include Walter Meego’s Forever (Discodust MP3), Empire of the Sun’s Walking on a Dream (Missingtoof MP3), and the fantastic B-Live mix of Groove Armada’s new single Drop the Tough (PandaToes MP3). The band often tours as a duo who DJs (and they frequent the States often) so be on the lookout!