*Yes yes, I know I’m all about the ‘no meat’ right now but this recipe is too golden to keep to myself.*
I am no southerner. Nor am I a northerner. I grew up in both parts of the US and am proud to have multi-roots. However, I have basically been eating ‘grits’ since I was old enough to hold the spoon by myself. Up north we call it cream of wheat. Down south it’s called grits. No matter what you call it or how you prepare it, if you love grits, you’ll love this recipe. While I’m not eating meat at them moment, I have throughly enjoyed the smokiness the bacon brings to this recipe. Nothing beats grits, shrimp and BACON. Nothing.
I’ve used a Bobby Flay recipe as a base which was good, but I think I made it better. Who needs lemon juice in their shrimp and grits? Not I. More cheese though? Yes Ma’am.
The Last Shrimp and Grits Recipe You Will Ever Try
Adapted from Bobby Flay’s Shrimp and Grits
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 C. stone ground grits
- 3 C cheddar cheese
- 1/2 package of bacon
- 2 T parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Cook the grits in 4 cups of water, until water is absorbed, approx. 20 – 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
- Heat a large skillet at medium-high heat. Add bacon.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Remove bacon from the pan and place in between paper towels (this ensures that the bacon stays crispy). Chop the bacon.
- Drain all but 1 T. of the bacon fat *Click HERE for my favorite way to use leftover bacon fat!!!*
- Add shrimp to skillet with bacon fat. Cook for 2 minutes at medium high on each side or until shrimp is pink.
- Add garlic to skillet and sauté for 1 minute. Add parsley, stir to combine all ingredients.
- Spoon grits into bowl and top with shrimp mixture and as much chopped bacon as you can handle.