From Joie de Vivre:
- 1 Fresh tomato, small, firm and rather ripe, per person
- olive oil
- sat and pepper
- 1 garlic clove, smashed per tomato
- Herbs de Provence
- Cut the tomatoes in half. In a small bowl, mix enough oilve oil with the salt and pepper, smashed garlic and the herbs to make a paste. Rub this mixture on the cut side of the tomatoes.
- Put olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan and turn heat on high. Cook the tomatoes in the hot olive oil, starting with the cut side, to sear.
- Turn the tomatoes over so that the seared cut side is up. Turn the heat very low, cover and cook 1/2 hour, covered on a very low fire. Uncover and cook another hour until the tomatoes completely collapse. You must cook this on an extremely low fire or the tomatoes will burn and taste bitter
In order to make the garlic oil and herb paste, place ingredients into a mortar and pestle instead of a small bowl. This allows for easy smashing and combing.