This recipe is adapted from two Ina Garten recipes
Fried Goat Cheese:
- 1 plain goat cheese log
- 1 fresh French baguette
- 1 egg white whisked with 1/2 tsp water for an egg wash
- 2 T. Olive Oil
- 1 pack of organic mixed lettuces, washed, dried throughly
- Slice the goat cheese into 1/2″ pieces using a piece of non-flavored dental floss (sounds odd, but it is the best way to slice the cheese. Still weary? See HERE ). Lay cheese out on a cutting board.
- Place the egg wash into a small bowl.
- Remove the crusts from the baguette and cut the remaining bread into 1 inch chunks.
- Process the bread chunks in a food processor until all bread is broken down and small crumbs are made. Pour the crumbs into a medium bowl, set next to the egg wash.
- Next you will create an assembly line for the goat cheese : goat cheese on cutting board – egg wash – bread crumbs – half sheet pan covered with foil
- Dip the piece of cheese into the egg wash, keeping your left hand clean.
- Next, place the egg wash covered cheese into the breadcrumbs and turn to coat all sides.
- Place the covered goat cheese onto the sheet pan.
- Repeat steps 6 – 8 until all pieces of cheese are finished.
- Place sheet pan, uncovered into the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 T. of olive oil in a large saucepan
- Place the cooled goat cheese pieces into the saucepan, being careful not to crowd. * It is better to do this step in a few rounds rather than all at once. Too many pieces of cheese in the pan will bring down the temperature of the oil causing the cheese not to brown.
- Cook the cheese for 5-7 minutes on each side or until the breadcrumbs brown.
- Place the cooked pieces of cheese onto a paper towel to drain and crisp up.
- Lay out a handful of the washed greens onto a plate, drizzle over 1 T. of the vinaigrette
- Top greens with 1/4 C. lentils per plate and 4-5 pieces of the fried cheese.
This recipe looks like a process but it is quite simple. I’ve just outlined every step in detail so no one gets confused!
The breadcrumbs can be made in advance however, it is important to use homemade crumbs, not boxed for the correct consistency.
The fried goat cheese can be made in advance – follow steps 6-14. When the cheese is cooked, place in an airtight container and refrigerate. To reheat, place 1 T. olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and cook the cheese for 3 minutes on each side of until warmed through.